Happy Cinco De Mayo: Mini Shrimp Tacos Recipe
For a Cinco De Mayo party this past weekend, I made mini shrimp tacos. They were a little on the spicy side for me – but I’m not used to a lot of heat – and everyone who tried them seemed to enjoy them.
As it turns out, other than the sauce, these are actually a pretty healthy snack/meal and perfect for a Mexican holiday!
Spicy Sauce (thanks to this recipe!)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I used light)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used light, made with olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Tortillas, cut into 4 equal parts
- Shredded lettuce
- Red cabbage, sliced lengthwise
- Tomatoes, cut into 1/2 pieces
- Avocado, sliced lengthwise
Start with the sauce, as it will need to refrigerate to set. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for an hour.
While the sauce is getting cold, work on the shrimp. If you got frozen shrimp, steam, boil, or defrost them first. Then, pat dry, put in a bowl, and mix in spices. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet and turn to medium heat. Add the spiced shrimp to the mixture and sauté on either side for a minute or two.
Once the sauce has been refrigerated for enough time, it’s time to add everything together in your tacos! You can add everything together however you’d like, but what I found worked best was to:
- Add spicy sauce to mini tortilla
- Sprinkle lettuce and cabbage
- Add shrimp
- Put several chunks of tomato on taco
- Finish with a slice of avocado
- Wrap taco and keep in place with a toothpick