What is Bullet Journaling? (Plus: Why I Love It, How I Use It & How to Get Started)
Don’t worry if you have no idea what that means…because we’re going to get right to it, my friend.
What is bullet journaling?
Bullet journaling is a fun, relatively new, and unique take on the traditional journal.
Though you can truly make your bullet journal whatever you want, the premise is that it’s a place for your yearly, monthly, and weekly schedule to go in a creative, organized place.
You can also add areas for whatever you’re thinking, pages to jot down notes, or get organized about a project or plan!
I love that the bullet journal can truly become whatever you need it to be, including an excellent creative outlet. So you can be as creative (or as simple!) as you want within your pages.
Why do I love the bullet journal?
I’ve been singing the praises of the bullet journal since day 1.
I love it because:
- I make a daily (or weekly) to-do list anyway. This way, I have something pretty to look at while I check off my to-do items!
- I love having a creative outlet, and this gives me a great one.
- I enjoy organizing other types of lists (e.g. books I’ve read this year, countries I’ve visited, general packing list, etc.)
How do I use the bullet journal?
The above are also the main ways I use my bullet journal but, again, the sky’s the limit! I highly recommend testing it out and seeing what’s right for you.
Here are the main ways I’ve been using my journal:
- Annual calendar (this is done once and good for the year!)
- Monthly calendar (I’ve actually stopped doing these, as we have a monthly calendar on our fridge and I can also refer back to my annual calendar)
- Weekly to-do list (also known as a weekly spread), that includes (depending on the week):
- Daily water intake tracking
- General tracking (washing my face, number of steps I took, chore completed, workout completed, etc.)
- Meal tracking/planning
- Sleep tracking
- Workout tracking
- General lists (that I can refer back to without having to write over and over)
- Books I’ve read/plan to read for this year
- Countries I’ve visited
- Packing list for travel
- Weekly chore list
What do you need to get started?
If you’re interested in bullet journaling, the good news is that you don’t need too many materials.
To start, you’ll need:
- A journal (I highly recommend the Leuchtturm1917)
- Black pens (I recommend using Sharpie fine point pens)
- A set of colored pens (I enjoy these and these the most from what I’ve tried)
- A straight edge and…
- Stencil (not necessary) (I use this one to have the best of both worlds)
- Time (you can spend as little or as much time as you want! I typically do my weekly spread while watching an hour of TV once a week!)
- Your creativity (check out my Pinterest board to get inspired)
Stay tuned for more on bullet journaling coming in the future. Are you getting started with yours?! Tell us all about it!